Purveyor Of Good Taste.
Hey. Now that the world didn’t end, let’s take a minute and think back on how much good Alex Rankin did for mountain bikers that came up watching his videos, whether it was Sprung or Earthed. Take a stroll down memory lane with me, won’t you?
Here are things Alex Rankin showed youngsters are cool:
- -Riding your bike really fast, obviously.
- -Slow-mo-ing almost exclusively on exceptional saves and fleeting moments of extremely good bike handling, not every fucking thing.
- -Riding 50s like a jackass.
- -Building shit whether it was dirt jumps, berms, or kickers made out of garbage.
- -Drinking sometimes heavily but surrounded by friends.
- -Fans going bonkers.
- -Classic rock and the history of British punk music (the clear exception to this was when he used that Eski-boi dog shit for Brayton’s section).
- -You can hand hold and fast pan your way through a video and a tripod has its place. Jibs, dollies, sliders, steadicams, and all that are for the birds until you get the basics sorted out.
- -Not everything has to be EPIC. In fact, most things are not.
- -Sometimes the best riders to shoot with are not that fast on the results sheets (think Reid, Vink, etc).
- -You should have some god damn fun already.
Thanks Alex Rankin. You’re a true hero and purveyor of good taste. With kids these days coming up with modern bike videos, here’s what they have to look up to:
- -Feeling it, bro.
- -Canadian kickouts.
- -Everything in 300 FPS.
- -Everything is epic and should be backed by 6 minutes of straight crescendo.
- -Helmet cams.
- -DSLRs mounted on stupid contraptions to move them in a shaky, shitty fashion.
- -Training montages.
We miss you, Mr. Rankin.